Your path leads you here

Your path leads you here
On this night your path takes you to a small village. There is not much in the village, a few run down cottages, a well that has seen better days, a half standing stable and an Inn. You'd like to keep riding, but you know your steed needs rest and so do you. You hand your reins over to a dirty stable boy, open your coin purse and toss the lad the silver bit you pulled out, telling him "one more on the morrow if my horse is well fed and brushed." You wade your way through the muddy village towards the Inn. Looking up, you see the name "The Nightblade Inn." The outside doesn't look like much, but the smells drifting out makes you think of home. Your stomach begins to talk to you and start to salivate.

Entering The Nightblade Inn

 You push open the door barely attached to the hinges, an unusual silence greets you...how uncommon for a Inn/Tavern.  You look around and s...

Wednesday, March 16, 2022

An Uncourageous Battle


 This is a tale I do not often share since I was not so courageous and acted more out of fear than anything else.  This is the tale of how I defeated the 3 Rouses. 

I was young, and instead of listening to other adventurers I ventured into the Untraveled Forrest.  As soon as I entered I could feel a shift in the air.  It was thick and bitter.  The trees were more skeletal than anything, but still brought an unearthly darkness even though it was midday. There was absolute silence not one bird chirped, no animals were heard in movement.  I should have left, but youth and stubbornness had the last say and I traveled deeper in.  I felt the fear creeping inside me, so I unsheathed my daggers and crouched down and moved farther and farther in. The farther I went it felt like the trees and their skeleton fingers were closing in on me.  The darkness was coming all too fast, and just as panic started to set in the noise came. A high pitch squeaking that had a touch of menacing laughter to it. I stopped ducted down farther and listened.  I then heard movement, it was too close for comfort, and holding my daggers brought little relief to me at this time.  The movement became more, and then I would catch glimpses of movement.  Whatever it was was moving so fast was there only one or was there more, I could not tell.  All of a sudden a wire haired rodent of unusual size jumped out and on me.  I fell to my back and a dagger fell from my hand.  In a panic I thought not to use the other dagger I needed the beast off of me.  The rouse made a noise like a calling it sound.  For it had to be because 2 other Rouses came from the shadows.  It was feeding time and I was the meal.  My heart beat faster and I grabbed the rouse on me by the ears and started kicking with my feet to remove this foul beast from me. I was able to get the upper had when the beast jerked away its head and rolled with my kicking one last time. I was able to jump to my feet but the odds were not in my favor. I couldn't risk retrieving the dropped dagger one false move would have been the end of me.  The three Rouses taunted me with the movements of coming forward then back again all while making this hideous squeaking noise. I saw a large branch just behind them and I knew that was my freedom, my life, I needed to get to that branch.  A plan came to mind and I only had one shot.  I started to back up, and in doing so I prayed silently to the G-ds the Rouses would move forward.  My prayers were answered, and that was exactly what they did.  As the Rouses moved forward I charged towards them and jumped on ones back then off.  I grabbed that branch and with all my might, and fear I slammed it down on all three Rouses. I heard the snap, snap, snap of spines breaking, blood seeping from their noses and mouths.  I was frozen and watched the last shudder go from their body. I turned the way I had come and all the stealth left me at that point.  Fear had seized me, my only thought was life and wanting, no NEEDING to get out of the Untraveled Forest.  I ran as fast as I could go, branches clawing my face and grabbing my arms, darkness closing in fast and the air the air taking my breath.  Even as I tell you this story traveller my breath leaves me.  That foul forest almost had my life.

My point is traveller, I did not fight with courage or to gain coin or to be the hero.  I fought out of fear and for that am most ashamed.  So, when you hear elder adventurers warn not to do something or travel somewhere it's best to listen...at least until you have more experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment